Friday, October 3, 2008

Parade

I find many things in Oklahoma funny. Yesterday happened to be one of them. Every year I have taken my children to the Owasso Homecoming Parade. The first year I was expecting your average homecoming parade with crate paper floats crowded with hyper high school students. The band here has much respected and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. Well...call it cultural shock, but this parade wasn't what I had grown accustom to in Idaho.

The parade starts with a police car and fire truck, very normal. It is followed by the marching band. I must say they are better than any band I have every seen in high school. They march in sync and they have fabulous uniforms. The next half hour of the parade consists of pick-up trucks and trailers full of football players and cheerleaders of all shapes and sizes. They throw tons of candy and my children run around like starving chickens collecting the loot. Then the parade is over. Not one traditional float. My first year, I went home shocked. Not at the lack of club participation or business involvement, but the exploiting of children. Ahhhh...how many parents are living out their dreams in there children? It looks like a lot in Owasso. This year Alana and Makena were particularly drawn to the cheerleaders that they knew from Kindergarten. I just kept distracting them with candy. What will I say when one of my children comes home telling me that they are going to play football or become a cheerleader. I'm sure that I'll eat a lot of my words and I'll probably drive one of the pick-up trucks. Anyway, good luck tonight during the homecoming game!

1 comment:

Jess. said...

At least they'll be cheerleaders with cute faces. I just saw a few of the PSU cheer folk. ...I shuddered. No wonder PSU doesn't do well in the sports.